Cravings

So two of the things I used to miss being on a low sodium diet was pizza and tuna melts. 

Most all processed meats are off limits due to the sodium content.  Same with cheese. Regular canned tuna started tasting salty after about two months on my post-SCAD diet so it came off the family menu.

I've been experimenting in the kitchen, trying out recipes I find as well as a few of my own concoctions.  I've been trying to add variety to my low sodium diet and make the best use of leftovers, current available produce, etc.

It has been interesting. I've never considered myself to be a foodie - at all, but I've been enjoying the process. Oddly, on top of this, I don't think I've ever eaten so healthy as I am right now.

Tonight I made tuna salad pizza. Served it with a few no-sodium corn chips and leftover homemade peanut stew (as a dip). Turned out pretty well. Here's the recipe in case you want to try it out.

Tuna Salad Pizza (serves 2)

1 large Dempster's Ancient Grain Tortilla 
1 Wild Selections low sodium white tuna
2 tbsp low sodium mayonnaise 
1/4 cup chopped chives or finely diced green onions
1 stalk celery finely diced
2 tbsp dried dill weed
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

1. Lay tortilla on a pizza pan. Sprinkle lightly with just under half the cheese.
2. Drain tuna and put into a small bowl. Flake with fork. 
3. Add mayonnaise, diced chives and celery and mix thoroughly.
4. Add dried dill and mix again
5. Drop spoonfuls of the tuna mixture evenly across the tortilla. Gently flatten/spread with the fork.
6. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese on the top.
7. Bake in oven at 350 F for 5 minutes.  Switch to broil if needed for an additional 2 minutes. Outside edges should just be browning and the cheese should be melted.
8. Remove from oven and place on a cutting board. Slice in 2 - 4 pieces. Makes two servings 

Serve with a side salad or with corn chips and salsa.


Comments

Popular Posts