The World We Are In

2020 has turned out to be one hell of year so far, hasn't it? 

First, in these parts we had "Snow-magedon" that brought cities and towns to their knees. Businesses shut down.  People stayed home from work.  Kids stayed home from school. Neighborhoods were cut off from each other.  It took weeks before anything approaching normalcy returned.

During Snow-magedon, people tried to look out for each other.  Neighborhood shoveling brigades were organized to ensure essential workers could get to work, fire hydrants were accessible and seniors front doors were cleared.  Local shopping (especially online) was encouraged to help businesses weather the economic hit caused by the storm.

Then came the COVID19 shut down.  Schools and businesses closed again.  Social distancing and wearing masks became common.  Folks with serious health issues had even more to worry about than usual as this nasty virus spread around the world like wildfire.  Some parts of the world have done a better job curtailing the spread of the virus, but in others the loss of life has been staggering.  First it seemed to be targeting the elderly, but it was soon clear that no one is safe from this virus or its equally terrifying after effects.  And it has brought on a level of isolation that most people have never experienced.

More recently, on this continent, widespread protests have sprung up ignited by the horrifying murder of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police.  The United States is literally on fire this week as people express their collective outrage against the latest loss of life in the black community perpetrated by members of an institution supposed to serve and protect.

It is a hard time to have a chronic disease and to be in a weakened state.  Healthy folks are having issues coping with the ongoing stresses associated with recent events.  Folks with serious chronic health issues have even more on their plates. 

People in receipt of Canada Pension Disability have been completely left out of the financial assistance packages offered up to the rest of the country during the COVID19 crisis.  Those who relied on panhandling, food banks or soup kitchens to help make ends meet have not been able to access these.  Standing in line to get into a grocery store is riskier for those with pre-existing conditions.  And I can't imagine how survivors of color are feeling these days, especially those who live in large cities where there has been unrest.  It is very risky living alone with a chronic illness these days.

And I know, many of us will be following the news, doing what we can to advocate for ourselves and to support social justice efforts in our own areas, and maybe even feeling a little guilty to be so concerned about ourselves when our world is in such turmoil.  I know, I have.

Yet, our fight for survival is just as real. 

I have to decided to focus on looking after myself, not just for me but also for my family who fuss and worry about me.  I also figure by taking care of myself, by minimizing my risk, I am taking strain off a very stressed health care system, which is a good thing.

First harvest from my greenhouse and garden.
I've spent a lot of time in my garden, tidying beds, moving plants, sharing perennials with others by arranging contact-less pick-up from my driveway.  I find it grounding and therapeutic to be outdoors so I'll do as much or as little as my energy levels permit every day we have nice weather. 

I've also been spending time in my kitchen, experimenting with recipes and reorganizing my pantry.  It has gotten harder to get certain things and some things are more expensive.  Part of me thinks that could be part of the new reality for a while, so nights when sleep is elusive, I scour the internet for recipes that use dried ingredients (i.e. things that can be bought in bulk and keep without refrigeration). 

The chick pea is now my friend and creative use of quinoa has let me kiss ground beef goodbye. I also make my own salad dressings now.  And of course, all of this gives me better control over my salt intake which is key for living with congestive heart failure.  It also gives me a sense of contributing to my family, being able to cook tasty and nutritious food at a stressful time.  And keeps my step count up, my mind active and away from too much social media.

That being said, I also set aside a little time each day to keep in touch with what is happening in the world.   I use my own voice on social media as constructively as I can.  And I make small donations to help worthy causes as I see them and opportunity arises.

This helps me feel a part of the world despite the fact that I haven't been off my little island since February 25th and only just visited a public place here on Bell Island last week, for the first time since the beginning of March.   I also spend a fair bit of time phoning and messaging loved ones and friends.  Connections are important and now, more than ever.

As physically cut off as we might be out of necessity, I think it is important to assert our place in the greater world around us as constructively as our circumstances allow.  We each have a voice, a perspective and life experience that we can use to enrich conversations and share with others, regardless of the state of our health at the moment. 

In fact, in some ways, our health struggles have helped prepare us for the psychological battering that 2020 has brought.  We are used to taking precautions and planning what needs to be done, because we have to.  We already know how to live large in a smaller sphere, so to speak.  Many healthy people are struggling with this.  Collectively, we have the wisdom of experience to share with them.

So, on that note, my next few blog posts will be about my recent experiences in my kitchen.  Food and meal preparation are key to maintaining nutrition and good health and can be challenging when a person is completely healthy.  My hope is that some of my experimentation might inspire you to consider what you can do to improve your own food and nutrition security.

Stay safe!



Comments

Popular Posts